“Great works are not performed by strength, but by perseverance” Samuel Johnson.
I’ve taken to writing great inspirational quotes on the blackboard each week. This week’s quote seemed fitting for all persons within the classroom walls.
Progress!
Each day I seem to find more progress in my routine and successes with the children. Thank you to the friends that helped me create some ideas to help manage my classroom. What I have found is consistency and routine is the way to a well managed classroom.
I’ve been mixing the advice I’ve been getting and here’s what I have so far: Find and reward the positive and remove the negatives. In my case, the negatives have been certain standout children, and as much as I hate to “give up” on a child, I’ve also learned that I can’t make anyone learn. All I can do is volunteer my help and knowledge. I am limited by their willingness to accept it. In this circumstance, I must focus my energy on the students I can reach and do what I can to make their learning environment as positive and conducive as possible.
Today that meant delivering the 6th referral and possibly effectively signing the suspension/expulsion notice for an 8th grade student. While the consequences are up to the board, the truth of the matter is upon her removal from the class, the remaining students were able to participate more effectively, and appropriately. She’s been a point of contention and has been ostracized by some classmates continuously for her outbursts, and has been the ringleader for others. In the past I would be the first to try to get through to her. In truth, I did attempt to do just that. However, as I said before, I can only reach those that want to be reached. Her attitude and complete disinterest in all things educational has reached my final straw. It saddens me to know that I was possibly the last hopeful one in the school, her last chance, and today I was actually angry at her. I reacted with emotion, albeit contained and controlled, it was still with anger that I instructed her to leave, and with anger that I signed the referral. I was almost spiteful. For that I am saddened.
On another note, I was able to experience complete chaos with my little Monkeys as the art teacher came in and tried to have them work with freestyle art and the meaning of community. The strange in between-ness of the middle school age reared its ugly head and the students responded with unbelievably immature and yet “too cool” responses. I am continually impressed and shocked by the gaping chasm between maturity and immaturity in each student. I know what you are thinking… “They are teen pre-teens that’s what they do.” This gap however is not only larger than I’ve ever previously experienced within a single person, but also surprising considering their environment. Isolation would theoretically lengthen their youthfulness, while farm life would theoretically increase their responsibility. Yet, and perhaps fittingly, here I am experiencing both extremes; almost a six year-old sense of humor with a 17 year-old indifference. National Geographic magazines and art projects beware.
Forgotten comments...
Comments on the valley:
This valley, while full of poverty and depression, is really quite beautiful. The morning and evening fog billows over the hills like a blanket of cotton. I seem to have all aspects of nature and the beauty of California in a circle the diameter of a few miles: coastal fog, mountainous snows, dense green forests, lush sweeping grassy valleys, and just enough sunshine to remind me that the California summer is eventually on its way.
Things I’ve learned, continued:
10. You’re only as good as your internet speed.
Another note on the topic of my long drive home:
Fluffy has taken to sitting in my lap for the long drives up and down the hill. It worked when she was little, now she is more of an armrest, but she only stays put until the road bends. On this sort of drive her positioning doesn’t last long.
Tuesday, March 9, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment