It was a lazy Saturday morning. I did my homework, threw some dirty clothes at the washing machine and poked around in the garden. It seems that I wasn't the only one in the garden however, not by a long shot. My neighbor, the man I've known for over 17 years, the quiet, keeping to himself kind of man, was digging in his back yard with his son. They were attempting to repair the fence, and were digging post holes when his son happened upon a root. The son, being quite tired, decided to move to the next hole temporarily, intending to return later to the first hole to take care of the troublesome root.
My neighbor, the kind-hearted man, took a glance in the original hole, and saw a strange hole in the root. An odd site he thought, and called his son to take a look. His dutiful son returned to the task of trying to remove the root when the top portion of the object came off revealing the inside, and subsequent top portion, of a skull. Yes a skull, and no not a small animal buried in the backyard type of skull, more of a human skull.
That's where we came in. The neighborhood phone tree of sorts was called in and soon we were all anxiously awaiting the results. Police were called, and soon the two, yes two, CSI vehicles pulled up out front, parking aptly, under the Neighborhood Watch sign. Suddenly our block was a the focal point of the neighborhood. Cars were driving by in first gear, windows downs, mouths gaping. One brave gentleman, drove by, u-turned, and came back by, stopping to ask the neighbor (Remember the kind-hearted neighbor?) what happened.
As for those of us in the know, I was hoping for police tape and took the opportunity to snap a few photos.
As the story unfolded, the skull turned out to have a removable top, and a few springs in the jaw. So now we are thinking, who's the strange scientist experimenting in our backyards?
The police vehicles were there long enough to attract attention, and as the day progressed so did the speculations. (Just how well do we know our neighbor?)
As for the story of the skull, the questions are still unanswered.
Just another day in the life. I swear I don't make these things up.
On other news, I received the biggest hug from my brother when I returned home. Kind of makes all this worth it.
Also, in an attempt to find jeans that aren't made of spandex and tapered enough to fit inside my chucks, I ventured onto the male side of the aisle. Seems they still know how to make jeans that are comfortable and 100% cotton. Shocking. And I have a new pair of favorite jeans. The best part: except for the deep pockets, you'd never know the difference. Ahh new jeans.
Life lesson #11:
I've learned why girls need purses. Seems it's all a conspiracy. Guy's jeans have deeper pockets. So deep in fact I keep losing my phone.
Man jeans and their deep pockets! Maybe sew the pockets so they are at your comfort of deep?
ReplyDelete