Wednesday, May 12, 2010

You Sunk My Battleship! - In a good way.

“Drinking keeps women skinny. And if it’s on the internet it must be true.”
Author's note: I love Cougar Town, so all quotes will be compliments of tonight’s episode.

Doing the progress reports. Average class GPA 2.75 highest 3.8, lowest 1.6…. hmmm… and that’s including the participation and PE grade.

I had the grand idea to play battleship with my kids in an effort to “make math fun.” I looked online and low and behold, someone else already created it… so badda bing badda boom, and now I have a great game with only a few minutes of copier time. I printed out the pre-made graphs (which are hard to self-create) and gave them to the kids today… it actually worked… I’ve been “training” them with all class games and bribing them with points… and today they played partner games for over 30 minutes and were completely enthralled. Amazing.

“Lets go to the mall where they print your picture on a sweatshirt, cause I don’t want to just remember this moment..., I want to wear it.”

Looks like a field trip will happen after all. Seems the 2nd 3rd grade class has rented a bus and so we’re off to the tide pools in a few weeks. It’s not a theme park with roller coasters, but maybe it will do, AND its mildly educational. I’m still trying to work out how to keep certain students from attending… like the one who’s parent has given me permission to call the cops on her son.

The social circle I run in, namely the head teacher and members on the board, are starting discussions about my employment and housing for the upcoming school year. SO how do I tell them I’m going to run screaming from this little place in 19 days? Or crazier yet… that after my not-so-fruitful job search, I’m back to at least slightly considering returning for a repeat performance. Yeah I know, give me one decent day with the kids and I’m back to considering long term employment. Don’t fret it’s only a sliver of a consideration. I’m putting all my eggs in other baskets first and I guess I’ll see come June where I’m standing, or at least where I’m leaning.

Lessons learned:
Small artichoke: same mess for less the fun. :)

“I don’t even know how to pretend to care about that”

1 comment: