Sunday, May 23, 2010

“Just When I thought I Was Out… They Pull Me Back In!”

Left school at lunch on Friday to head to job interview… nothing like a stressful day at school, and a car full of Fluffy’s fluff, and a oncoming sinus infection to get one ready for a job interview.

I brought the Fluffy to school to expedite my departure, and even changed in the car (thank you Chevron). I made it right on time and had a moment to try to de-fluff myself before entering a small yet proper looking school. By proper I mean odd colored paint, permanent buildings, semi organized layout, school name printed on the building, and even a “Wildcat Pride” sticker in the office window. Yes it has an office with an actual door, not just a cubicle off the main room.

I joined the student currently in detention, who I quickly distracted from reading his book. He was quietly, politely and cooperatively reading as his detention punishment; I knew I was in an alternate reality. I distracted him mainly to calm my nerves, but in my defense he started it.

Student: “Are you going to be the new math teacher?”
Me: “I hope so. Is that alright?”
Student (looks me over): “Yeah.”

I now love this kid. The secretary is equally friendly another lady (who I late discovered was the 6th grade teacher) was playfully interacting with the boy and secretary. Already this is a fun place to be, and as for the kid in detention, if this is their “bad” kid I’m in heaven.

Interview went and interviews do. I was told I talk fast, yup nothing new, and I tried to express my dislike of STAR testing without completely discrediting the justification of it. The interviewing staff were nice and the interview took almost an hour. They included a new twist for me, compliments of being a part of a real middle school, and questioned me on my interest in coaching… (WOO HOO I thought I’ve always wanted to be a coach) softball. (Oh crap) The next five minutes or so was spent with me backpedaling and trying to sound confident about teaching a sport I’ve not only never played, but one that I am quite assuredly awful at. Oh well… it was fun while it lasted. “Blah blah blah, we’ll be making our decision and letting you know by Tuesday, blah blah blah.”

The drive home is through the mountains of no reception so when my mother called me on the other side I had no idea what was in store. Seems the Principal of the school I just interviewed at had called the house looking for me. Great, I thought, what did I forget? I had, and was currently using my cell phone, same for the car keys. I was stumped. I tried calling back to no avail. Then I had the optimistic idea that maybe this job wasn’t right for me but they had another opening elsewhere they wanted to consider me for. They had said they were hiring for 3 different positions.

Well Mr. Principal called three times before he got a hold of me. In fact as I returned to civilization, and to a high-speed internet for the specific purpose of looking for another interview, he called.

“I just wanted to let you know that you really impressed us at the interview (here it comes: but we’ve decided to go another direction) and we’d like to offer you the position.”






Screaming, jumping and more screaming ensued, on par with sorority girls and a clearance sale on shoes. Fortunately for his eardrums and my reputation of being mature and self controlled I postponed most of it until after we had exchanged our goodbyes.

My neighbors three doors down were concerned as they heard screaming from the front yard and we commenced with long distance good news sharing. The neighbors three doors away on the other side we don’t know so we let them think what they liked. (Read the blog titled “CSI Suburbia for an added view of what our neighbors may now think of our house)

To summarize: I’m officially accepting the job in a few hours (he wanted me to have time to think about it). It’s a math position at a small middle school. I’ll be teaching all the 7th and 8th grade math classes (all four of them) and one elective (read study hall) math class. I get a prep-period, something I’ve been without this year, and an aide, something I’ve also been lacking in my present position. I’m getting a substantial pay raise (calm down I’m still a teacher, it’s all relative). The three-grade school has a class population of less than 200 and a teaching staff of eight. This town is actually smaller than my present town, but (and this is a big but) its not nearly as isolated, has neighboring towns of greater population, a heavy social calendar, and is closer to the hometown by half. My year will be filled with relaxing at the lake, winery concerts, and maybe coaching (haven’t figured that out yet). And, of course, being a first year teacher yet again and swimming in my piles of homework to grade and planning to do.

I am appropriately freaking out, but with less screaming, and trying to get it all straight in my head. Amusingly I also plagued with the thoughts: “Why in the world is anyone letting me teach a bunch of kids?” “Who said I can teach?” and “I have absolutely no idea what I’m doing.” (haven't I been here before?)

Upon hearing the news one friend had the possibly the most appropriate and accurate thing to say: “Now that you’ll be in a regular school your blog is going to be a whole lot less interesting.”

1 comment: