Possible titles for this blog:
Can I start freaking out now?
When it rains it pours
Priorities – we’ve all got em, now to prioritize them
All of these titles are good in a multitude of ways.
1. My not-so-little brother is graduating High School. We took a photo 13 years ago on his first day of Kindergarten, and my first day of Senior Year. As I crawled out of bed, to commemorate the occasion, we took a repeat photo. Good thing I had plenty of time to get prepared. I’m absolutely freaking out about how many years it has been. I am starting to feel really old. In pure unadulterated serendipity my pajamas, which were forever captured in historic glory through the means of photographic technology, consisted of a shirt that I have owned and proudly worn since the brother’s arrival in the early 90s. Long live Hypercolor, even if the color changing technology has long since worn out.
2. The weather too has been uncooperative and has been threatening a late spring shower all day. The graduation ceremony of course is outside.
3. My final final (my last essay) is due and I’m beginning to stress that, between all the graduation festivities and my last minute Friday plans my free time has waned considerably and I’m not sure I’ll find the time to write all 1000 required words. (But I can find time to write a blog… priorities)
4. I had the opportunity to interview for a second job offer, which, by the way, is the main reason I am running out of essay time. The school is in a small town, the school is tiny, and I’d be teaching Language Arts. I’ve been joking for years about how I have a supplemental in Language Arts and how I feel absolutely unqualified to teach it. How does one teach Language Arts? It’s an art, and in case you haven’t noticed the English language is complicated! The school is also one of the few actually thriving under the unrealistic pressures of the “No Child Left Behind” legislation. The staff is friendly and almost intimidatingly welcoming.
Case in point:
I arrived late to the interview due to a mix-up in directions. (I’ve driven this road dozens of times and this time I get lost, figures) So I arrive somewhat flustered and off my game. First step of the interview is a writing prompt. The sat me in an office with 2 number 2 pencils a pad of paper and the printed prompt, telling me I had 30 minutes to finish. Needless to say my brain was in shut-off mode and I was stumped at what to write as I sat for the first few minutes trying to even make sense of the question. The door opened a few minutes into my mental melt down and the secretary walked in. She apologized for interrupting and said,” it looked like you could use a hug.” There I am hugging woman I don’t know as she is telling me all will be ok and I’m thinking to myself I couldn’t be farther from my current employment reality. She grabs a Pepsi 0 and allows me to return to my writing. I proceed to write and re-write my response making an absolute mess of the page, but ultimately feeling pretty good about my work. Next step was a panel interview. My 2 peer teachers, the business manager (more about her later) the resource teacher, a 7th grade student, the principal/district superintendant, and a parent. (I’m super impressed that they have a student on the panel!) 26 questions later, a little lighthearted joking, and the possible world record for speed talking and I’m out the door. The principal/superintendent stops to again shake my hand and inform me that he’ll call me later about a possible second interview. Probably tonight. I say, more to myself than anyone else, that I’m available however would need to get a sub which is quite difficult in my little town. I make my way to my truck, find my way out to the highway, and stop at the next gas station to fill up for the hour drive back to the hometown. Not 10 minutes after leaving the parking lot I get a phone call. I’m filling up on gas and answer the phone. It’s the business manager calling to tell me that she was sorry she couldn’t show me around and that I had to leave so early. I addition she realizes that getting a substitute is difficult, however this little school is really a great place to work and “from the bottom of her heart” she thinks that I would fit in well with the staff and not regret for a moment moving there. Where am I? What world is this? I left behind a school that felt like family when I took my current position and now, suddenly I feel like that family, the one I took 2 years to build, is ready and waiting at this new place. My second interview is second interview is scheduled for a week from Tuesday, smack dab in the middle of my last week of school, just days before a graduation ceremony that I have to run and now I need to figure out how to get 6 hours away to an interview and back before anyone notices. An airplane would be VERY handy about now.
5. Upon return to “home base” and after a quick share with the family about my day I checked my email only to find a third interview option… Yes a third school in the state of budget cuts, layoffs, and furlough days would like to interview me, a first year teacher. I am again left wondering why I look so good on paper, so much better than hundreds of applicants that have as much if not multiple times the experience. Shall I heed the warning that the last school to hire me had a very specific list of reasons that no one else wanted the job? I politely turned down the third job opportunity. Too many options and I’m beginning to feel greedy.
6. My sinuses are still infected and I’m entertaining myself with the color palate that my body is able to produce in semi-liquid form. I’m putting the 80s to shame. $160 dollars later and I’m now happily doped up on antibiotics, Sudafed and more ibuprofen. My headache has yet to realize my counter attack but I expect an eminent retreat.
Its been a busy few days. I’m unsure as how to proceed with the plethora of job opportunities, seeing as both, at present, would mean positive progress in my career and state of mind. So while I toil away at my blissful dilemma I’m off to bake cookies for the graduation party. The sun is finally shining and its starting to finally feel like summer.
Author’s note: The final and rather infamous essay has been completed and is a whopping 1200 words (ironically the same length as this entry). I am finally finished with school. Well college at least, and for only 2 weeks, but progress is progress and for the next two weeks I have no essays to write. Hallelujah.
Saturday, May 29, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment