Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Congestion With a Side of Grumpy

15 days of school left…. 15 days of school left…. 15 days of school left.

I was asked why I was so grumpy Monday. My colorful response was: (which I refrained from sharing) “After taking Benadryl, the same little pink pills I’ve been giving to Fluffy to curb her scratching, which has no visible effect on her and quite the alternative effect on me, I passed out for exactly 3 hours. Then awoke somewhere near 1:00am with a severe headache, sore throat, and congested sinuses. Tossing and turning ensued before I convinced myself to find my ibuprofen, conveniently located in a box at the bottom of the pile next to my bed. Hallelujah for ibuprofen! So while I still couldn’t breathe at least it didn’t hurt so bad. Needless to say it wasn't the most restful of evenings AND I cant feel the top half of my face due to the sinus pressure building in my nasal cavity, which ironically is not so much a cavity as a filling.

Day 2 of illness and I’m still popping ibuprofen, and I’ve also upgraded to attempting to sniff hot tea. Not really effective when you can’t breathe. Its also difficult to eat when you can only breathe through your mouth. Hold your breath, chew chew swallow, breathe, chew chew swallow.

On an up note I was told today that by my students that I’m not fun when I’m sick. This implies that I’m kinda fun on a normal day. Either that or they just want me to go home so they can torture a new substitute. They openly share substitute torture stories and then wonder why I abstain from calling in an unwitting victim.

Is it bad however that I don’t want to take a day off work, simply because the internet is markedly faster at school, thereby limiting my productivity? Today’s at-home dial-up speed: 9KBps, and it keeps kicking me off… grrr. How does one complete online homework, or more impoartantly, look for jobs when it takes 3 hours to open a web page?

No comments:

Post a Comment