Saturday, February 27, 2010

Moving Day

For those that haven't already heard, tomorrow morning, bright and early, is moving day. The fuzzy four legged companion and I are loading the truck and moving to the mountains; a small little round valley to be precise. I've accepted a teaching job for the remainder of the year.

The job: is about as close as I can get to a one-room schoolhouse. I'll have my hands full with a multi-age classroom, limited supplies, and to top it off, not only am I a "first year teacher," I'm also still in school (10 units). So I decided the best way to keep myself sane, and to keep you all entertained in my absence, is to write down all the strange and wonderful things I'm bound to experience... and by strange and wonderful, I may be meaning all the strange things I'm finding to do to keep myself entertained. (You've been warned.)

I'm leaving behind a half emptied room at my folks' place, a handful of good friends, and a few co-workers that have all reminded me how good I had it and how wonderful this place can be. It's strange how badly I have been focused on moving, getting away, and now that I am, even for a few short months, I'm suddenly left wondering just why it was that I so wanted to leave it all behind. Grass is always greener until you decide to leave? Well I keep reminding myself that it's only a few months, a trial period really, to see how I fit, how I like small town life, how the budget will play out for next year. I really couldn't have it any better.

So tomorrow, with a truck full of school supplies, a few duffel bags of clothes, enough DVD's to keep me busy until 2011, and a NEW large bag of peanut M&M's (the black dog decided to have a pre-departure snack), I'll be saying a bittersweet goodbye to all the comforts of home, and embarking on an adventure.

To everyone that has been involved in this process from my credential, through my student teaching, all the way to helping me find some extra supplies for my new classroom, you have ALL helped me get to where I am today: freaked out, scared, and never more supported :) THANK YOU!

Tune in next time for "Oh my goodness they really are going to let me shape young minds" or "Day 1: The kids are all here, I took roll twice... now what?"

1 comment: